The Senior Project Manager will provide overall direction and leadership, and owns project outcomes for significantly complex projects and/or multiple projects. This position will fully implement and manage the operation, profitability and administration of projects. All activities will be performed in support of the strategy, vision and values of JE Dunn.
- Autonomy & Decision Making: Makes decisions within defined limits of authority and consults senior management on other decisions.
Key Role Responsibilities
- Leads all aspects of the company’s safety culture and creates awareness by demonstrating commitment to an injury-free environment through individual actions and mentoring others. Investigates safety incidents and retrains staff and needed.
- Supports the preconstruction team including quantity takeoff, trade coordination and scope of work development, scope review, bid package development, schedule development, bid list creation and bid advertisement.
- Leads plan and implementation of buyout schedule. Verifies pricing and scope, identifies successful bidders, provides gap analysis against initial scope and manages issuance of subcontracts.
- Manages the submittal schedule setup. Coordinates priorities with the team; reviews and approves all shop drawings and samples prior to submittal to architects or engineers.
- Ensures approved submittals are returned to subcontractors and available to project team per the project schedule and the contract.
- Coordinates with Logistics to obtain pricing on materials and equipment.
- Confers with risk management to ensure approval and/or bonding requirements for subcontractors. Reviews decisions with project leader. Provides ongoing risk analysis of subcontractors throughout project lifecycle.
- Coordinates the various stakeholders of the project including but not limited to subcontractors, owner, field, design team, vendors, etc.
- Disseminates change requests to subcontractors for pricing and schedule input. Gathers and evaluates subcontractor pricing to confirm accuracy.
- Prepares, submits and obtains owner/architect approval for change requests.
- Leads various meetings such as monthly project reviews, progress meetings and OAC (Owner Architect) meetings.
- Completes monthly subcontractor and owner pay application process.
- Prepares project schedule with the Project Superintendent. Gathers input from project team and utilizes Lean principles as appropriate. Develops and updates project schedule for both preconstruction and construction activities. Manages materials, labor and procurement logs to ensure appropriate resources are available to meet the project schedule.
- Identifies potential schedule impacts including scope, weather, manpower and changes, and facilitates mitigation plans for these impacts.
- Provides appropriate written documentation for decisions affecting various aspects of the project such as budget, schedule, legal, quality, and/or safety. Employs current best practices for documentation requirements.
- Provides a variety of regular reporting and analysis to project team(s) to communicate overall project status and profitability.
- Prepares monthly cost and margin forecast with input from superintendent and reviews with the project team. Participates in the development of the project budget. Regularly reviews costs relative to the budget, and highlights discrepancies to enable improved financial performance.
- Leads overall project closeout process using best practice standards, tools and processes such as the close-out punch list, financials, sub contracts, warranties, etc.
- Interfaces with region/company legal counsel as appropriate.
Key Role Responsibilities
SENIOR PROJECT MANAGER
In addition, this position will be responsible for the following:
- Leads and participates in all aspects of the project-specific safety plan and creates a culture of safety awareness by demonstrating commitment to an injury free environment through individual actions and mentoring others. Investigates safety incidents and retrains staff as needed.
- Understands the preconstruction process from conceptual phase through GMP development.
- Completes estimating and productivity analysis.
- Leads or provides support to senior management for preconstruction discussions with clients.
- Oversees project team during development of preconstruction estimates.
- Identifies, understands and actively manages project risks.
- Assists with the development and management of the project business plan in order to maximize financial success.
- Implements and manages components of the operation and administration of complex and/or multiple construction projects.
- Utilizes awareness, experience and knowledge to identify problems and recommends solutions for review and implementation by the team.
- Manages deliverables provided by a variety of internal resources and functions such as IPS, logistics, self-perform, etc.
- Engages in business, industry and community activities to build and strengthen external relationships.
- Reviews and approves expense reports.
- Negotiates project issues including change orders, contingency expenditures and appropriate fee enhancements.
- Completes scope review and bid analysis, including award of subcontracts.
- Collaborates with marketing team on related presentations and marketing activities.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to perform work accurately and completely, and in a timely manner.
- Communication skills, verbal and written (Advanced).
- Ability to conduct effective presentations (Advanced).
- Proficiency in MS Office (Intermediate).
- Ability to apply fundamentals of the means and methods of construction management to projects.
- Thorough knowledge of project processes and how each supports the successful completion of a project.
- Ability to build relationships with team members that transcend a project.
- Proficiency in project management and accounting software such as CMiC (Intermediate).
- Proficiency in required construction technology (Intermediate).
- Proficiency in scheduling software (Intermediate).
- Proficiency in BIM (Building Information Modeling) (Intermediate).
- Ability to apply Lean process and philosophy (Intermediate).
- Ability to manage budgets, maximize profitability and generate future work through building relationships (Intermediate).
- Ability to construct a project from start to finish.
- Ability to prepare the project budget, GMP or hard bid.
- Ability to complete range estimates.
- Ability to assist Marketing team with presentation and marketing activities.
- Ability to develop and manage a project team.
- Ability to build relationships and collaborate within a team, internally and externally.
- Bachelor’s degree in construction management, engineering or related field.
- In lieu of the above requirements, equivalent relevant experience will be considered.
- Experience in Automotive, Aerospace, Metals, Plastics, Consumer Goods, Paper, Food & Beverage, Cold Storage, Process Manufacturing highly preferred.
- 10+ years construction management experience.
- Valid and unrestricted drivers license required
- Must pass a pre-employment background check/drug screen
- Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds
- May require periods of travel and/or relocation
- Must be willing to work non-traditional hours to meet project needs
- May be exposed to extreme conditions (hot or cold)
- Assignment location may include project sites and/or in the office
- Frequent activity: Sitting, Viewing Computer Screen
- Occasional activity: Standing, Walking, Bending, Climbing, Reaching above Shoulder, Pushing, Pulling
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $100,000.00 - $150,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
- PMP (Preferred)
- Driver's License (Preferred)
Work Location: One location