Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
Data is the lifeblood of modern healthcare. Within Optum Technology, we are working on data driven solutions to improve patient experience and improve healthcare outcomes. The Healthcare Streaming Platform powers massive data analytics platforms to predict disease, provide patients with a wholistic view of their healthcare at any time and on any device, and provide healthcare providers the most up to date information to ensure optimal care, all in real time. We are looking for a Software engineer to help design and build our distributed data streaming platform built on top of Apache Kafka as we grow to tens of millions of events per second and petabytes of data.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Develop event driven software utilizing Apache Kafka and distributed data platforms
- Build cohesive self-service platform components on top of GCP & Azure
- Drive toward best in class telemetry, alerting, and operations solutions. We should always know something is wrong before our users
- End to end ownership of the stack - from the infrastructure to the end user Streams & APIs
- Remain current on industry trends, particularly in event driven architecture, and participates in the evaluation of new technologies
- Provide technical direction to a team of engineers
- Serves as a technical mentor and coach to more junior software engineers
- Partner with other lead level engineers across platform teams to ensure platform components are being designed with a cohesive end in mind
- Contribute code back to the open-source community when applicable according to Optum's open-source policies
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- College degree BA/BS or at least 3 years of related work experience
- 1+ year or more of related IT work experience as a developer, engineer, architect, or similar role (corporate employer full time)
- Hands on work experience with software development using languages such as Golang, Java, Rust or equivalent
- Experience utilizing event driven architecture and related technologies (Apache Kafka, Pulsar, RabbitMQ, etc.)
- Experience with Platform/DevOps engineering
- Proven ability to work on multiple software projects at a time in a complex large company
- Kafka experience, either as a platform admin or a developer of producers, consumers, and streams
- Experience developing applications that use distributed data platform technologies such as Apache Cassandra and Elasticsearch
- Experience designing cloud native platform solutions utilizing AWS, GCP or Azure and Kubernetes
- Experience delivering as-a-service platforms
- Experience with Linux / Unix based operating systems
- Experience operating large-scale data systems
- Have built Kubernetes operators/CRDs
- Familiarity with Apache Avro, Protobuf and Confluent Schema Registry
- Knowledge of modern DevOps practices, including automated testing, continuous integration, automated deployments and CICD pipelines
- Understanding of the Kafka Protocol
- Proven to be highly productive, self-starter and self-motivated
- Opensource contributions to distributed systems
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation.
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Technology Careers with Optum. Information and technology have amazing power to transform the health care industry and improve people's lives. This is where it's happening. This is where you'll help solve the problems that have never been solved. We're freeing information so it can be used safely and securely wherever it's needed. We're creating the very best ideas that can most easily be put into action to help our clients improve the quality of care and lower costs for millions. This is where the best and the brightest work together to make positive change a reality. This is the place to do your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $66,100 to $118,300. The salary range for Connecticut/Nevada residents is $72,800 to $129,900. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment