What you'll do...
As a Senior Software Engineer in the Item Catalog area, you will be exposed to a large, big data ecosystem that is a foundational system within Walmart. These systems are used to create, maintain, and administrate the data for products bought and sold by Walmart. Consumers use this data for everything from procurement, replenishment, transporting, and sale of these products, whether it be in a store or on-line (omni-channel). In this role, you will:
- Lead the operations team in day-to-day activities (driving issues, daily stand-ups, prioritization of work, team reporting, ensuring adherence to standards and policies, etc.)
- Drive the team to implement solutions that proactively monitor and alert teams to potential issues before they cause impact to business systems
- Lead the Operational Excellence process to uncover root cause of impacting issues and drives all necessary teams to ensure all issues are properly resolved and changes to processes, systems, coding, or testing are implemented to ensure the same issues do not occur in the future.
- Provide support to the business by
- Responding to user questions, concerns, and issues (for example, technical feasibility, implementation strategies);
- Researching and identifying needed solutions;
- Determining implementation designs;
- Providing guidance regarding implications of new and enhanced systems;
- Identifying short- and long-term solutions; and,
- Directing users to appropriate contacts for issues outside of associate's domain.
- Troubleshoot business and production issues by
- Gathering information (for example, issue, impact, criticality, possible root cause);
- Engaging support teams to assist in the resolution of issues;
- Formulating an action plan;
- Performing actions as designated in the plan;
- Interpreting the results to determine further action;
- Performing root cause analysis to prevent future occurrence of issues; and,
- Completing documentation.
- Provide and support the implementation of business solutions by
- Building relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders;
- Identifying business needs;
- Determining and carrying out necessary processes and practices;
- Monitoring progress and results;
- Recognizing and capitalizing on improvement opportunities; and,
- Adapting to competing demands, organizational changes, and new responsibilities.
- Lead design review meetings, identifies the gaps and helps the engineering teams to perform necessary actions before it hits the production.
- Lead the work on meeting with project teams, product owners, business regularly to formulate the plans for fixing all the open bugs.
- Perform code reviews to ensure the code quality and follows the standards.
- Work across geographic boundaries to assist offshore engineers to understand technical specifications and business logic.
You have and can implement big ideas with a positive attitude. You want to be a part of the team to disrupt this industry and you have these main skills:
- Expert level troubleshooting skills and the ability to drive multiple teams to uncover root cause of issues and drive and help these teams to permanently fix these issues.
- Extensive understanding of Cassandra and SQL databases, microservice architecture and design, and best practices around multithreading, networking, offline storage and performance tuning
- Expert level knowledge and understanding of Java, Spring Boot, and experience working with distributed systems and teams.
- Experience with refactoring/redesigning/rewriting existing applications is a plus (We are in the process of redesigning and refactoring of our current system)
- Ability to update products with focus on testability, someone who loves test coverage (well versed with Mockito and JUnit)
- A disciplined approach to operations in a team environment.
- A constant desire to improve, learn more and take things to the next level and a passion for adopting the latest features in cloud computing, big data, Kafka, Splunk, and other technologies.
You’ll really wow us if…
- Your ability to rise above group think and see beyond the here and now is matched only by your intellectual curiosity.
- You come to the table with a comprehensive knowledge of operational thinking
- You consider yourself to be a student of the world who thrives in an ever-changing environment that holds within it new challenges and chances to prove your expertise.
- You level up when you have the opportunity to teach others and empower those around you to excel.
You’ll make an impact by…
- Having a clear focus on proactively finding potential issues in the ecosystem and driving changes to ensure stability and speed.
- Helping cross-functional teams to solve for business problems and develop solutions that enable us to redefine a “best-in-class” customer experience.
- Encouraging the teams that you oversee to work collaboratively and to aim for insight-driven outcomes.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
Skill Set Additions:
- Knowledge of technologies used in building scalable, distributed systems in virtualized cloud environments.
- Ability to design for fault tolerance and high availability.
- Have proficient knowledge and experience with Kafka Queues, Cassandra, Solr, Elastic Search, SQL
- Demonstrated knowledge of the following programming Languages: Java, Python, Bash, Spark (SQL, Streaming), Hadoop Map-Reduce experience. Build Manager (Maven), Distributed Version Control (GIT), Continuous Integration (Jenkins) experience.
- Solid devops skills in troubleshooting live applications, assessing performance bottlenecks of applications running on Linux
- Develop high performance and scalable solutions that extract, transform, and load big data
About The Team
As a member of the OMS group, you’ll be responsible for designing, implementing and testing code change required for special business requirements. You’ll independently handle high impact, critical software/systems monitoring issues, troubleshoot business and production issues. As a member of the team, you’ll be able to say that you work for the world’s largest retailer and contribute to the development to best-in-class methodologies that impacted perception and drastically changed business as we know it.
Benefits & Perks
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas, and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
About Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people and put a smile on their face. That’s what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We’re a team of 15,000+ software engineers, data scientists and service professionals within Walmart, the world’s largest retailer, delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and empower our 2.2 million associates. To others, innovation looks like an app, service, or some code, but Walmart has always been about people. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations. Being human-led is our true disruption.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualification s for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualification s.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor of Science and 5 years' experience in software engineering OR Master of Science 2 years' experience in software engineeringPreferred Qualifications...
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualification s for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualification s.
Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field and 2 years' experience in software engineering or related fieldInformation Technology - CISCO Certification - CertificationPrimary Location...
860 W CALIFORNIA AVENUE, SUNNYVALE, CA 94086-0000, United States of America
At Walmart, we help people save money so they can live better. This mission serves as the foundation for every decision we make, from responsible sourcing to sustainability—and everything in between. As a Walmart associate, you will play an integral role in shaping the future of retail, tech, merchandising, finance and hundreds of other industries—all while affecting the lives of millions of customers all over the world. Here, your work makes an impact every day. What are you waiting for?
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer- By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associate s, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experience s, identities, abilities, ideas and opinions- while being inclusive of all people.