Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that is improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation is not about another gadget; it is about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There is no room for error. If you are looking for a better place to use your passion and your desire to drive change, this is the place to be. It's an opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Optum is seeking a Data Engineer with health care experience to implement and manage cross-domain, modular, flexible, scalable, secure, reliable and quality data solutions that transform data to support analytics and insight generation for our clients. The Data Engineer will implement, test, deploy, monitor, and maintain the delivery of data in a systematic method and will support a wide variety of analytical needs for our customers. The Director of Data Engineering will also partner with the broader OAS Analytics organization to harness the power of client data to facilitate analytical insight and will be responsible for building quality and efficiency into every project.
You'll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Lead and support the full data engineering lifecycle including research, proof of concepts, design, development, testing, deployment, and maintenance of data management solutions
- Lead data acquisition efforts to gather data from various structured or semi-structured source systems of record to hydrate client Data Warehouse and power analytics across numerous health care domains
- Lead the ETL/ELT methodologies to pull complex relational and dimensional data to support loading DataMart’s and reporting aggregates
- Lead and support in developing the template for the POC and implement for the largest and complex data warehousing projects
- Detect data quality issues, identify root causes, implement fixes, and manage data audits to mitigate data challenges
- Implement, modify, and maintain data integration efforts that improve data efficiency, reliability, and value
- Build and deploy the complex ETL code using the SSIS and other ETL tools
- Leverage and facilitate the evolution of best practices for data acquisition, transformation, storage, and aggregation that solve current challenges and reduce the risk of future challenges
- Effectively create data transformations that address business requirements and other constraints
- Partner with the broader analytics organization to make recommendations for changes to data systems and the architecture of data platforms
- Support the implementation of a modern data framework that facilitates business intelligence reporting and advanced analytics
- Prepare high level design documents and detailed technical design documents with best practices to enable efficient data ingestion, transformation, and data movement.
- Leverage DevOps tools to enable code versioning and code deployment
- Leverage data pipeline monitoring tools to detect data integrity issues before they result into user visible outages or data quality issues
- Leverage processes and diagnostics tools to troubleshoot, maintain and optimize solutions and respond to customer and production issues
- Continuously support technical debt reduction, process transformation, and overall optimization
- Leverage and contribute to the evolution of standards for high quality documentation of data definitions, transformations, and processes to ensure data transparency, governance, and security
- Ensure that all solutions meet the business needs and requirements for security, scalability, and reliability
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor’s Degree (preferably in information technology, engineering, math, computer science, analytics, engineering, or similar related field)
- 8+ years of combined experience in data engineering, ingestion, normalization, transformation, aggregation, structuring, and storage
- 8+ years of combined experience working with industry standard relational, dimensional, or non-relational data storage systems
- 5+ years of experience in designing ETL/ELT solutions using tools like Informatica, DataStage, Health Catalyst, SSIS, PL/SQL, T-SQL, etc.
- 5+ years of experience in managing data assets using SQL, Python, Scala, or other similar querying/coding language
- 5+ years of experience working with healthcare domain or proven experience on providing Data engineering development support to healthcare organizations
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Depth of experience and proven track record creating and maintaining sophisticated data frameworks for healthcare organizations
- Experience in creating Source to Target Mappings and ETL design for integration of new/modified data streams into the data warehouse/data marts
- Experience with Epic Clarity and/or Caboodle data models
- Experience in Unix or PowerShell or other batch scripting languages
- Experience supporting data pipelines that power analytical content within common reporting and business intelligence platforms (e.g., Power BI, Qlik, Tableau, MicroStrategy, etc.)
- Experience supporting analytical capabilities inclusive of reporting, dashboards, extracts, BI tools, analytical web applications and other similar products
- Experience contributing to cross-functional efforts with proven success in creating healthcare insights
- Experience and credibility interacting with analytics and technology leadership teams
- Knowledge of project and system development methodologies (e.g., Waterfall, Agile) and the demonstrated ability to apply and adopt methodologies to align with project needs and drivers
- Exposure to Amazon Redshift, Amazon S3, Hadoop HDFS, Azure Blob, or similar big data storage and management components
- Understanding of systems analysis, systems architecture, and systems engineering principals such as TOGAF - The Open Group Architectural Framework, Zachman/Taxonomy, Federal Enterprise architecture, or Gartner Methodology
- Proven track record of collaboration and relationship building across diverse teams in a heterogeneous environment
- Desire to continuously learn and seek new options and approaches to business challenges
- A willingness to leverage best practices, share knowledge, and improve the collective work of the team
- Possess outstanding communication (written and verbal), listening and interpersonal skills; and be able to quickly establish credibility and rapport with a broad set of executives and constituencies
- Willingness to support limited travel up to 10%
- Ability to develop and enhance partnership with customers, take ownership of issues, and assist customers in navigating ITS using "warm handoffs" and other related techniques
- Ability to prepare and give presentations, and to communicate (written and verbal) complex technical content to technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Ability to work with customers to conduct detailed requirements gathering and analyze information to translate customer objectives into a detailed technical implementation plan
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $82,100 to $146,900. The salary range for Connecticut / Nevada residents is $90,500 to $161,600. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.