The Embassy Suites Nashville at Vanderbilt is looking for a Director of Sales & Marketing to join our team. We offer competitive pay, paid time off, and comprehensive benefits, including medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability and 401(k) with Employer Match.
As Director of Sales you will have direct oversight of all sales and marketing operations of the hotel. In this role you will have the responsibility to achieve optimal occupancy and ADR growth to maximize total revenue while meeting or exceeding hotel profit goals.
The ideal candidate is a service-oriented, motivated, passionate and collaborative individual who has a deep understanding of how to develop strong relationships with customers, effectively prospect and positively and creatively lead teams. The Director of Sales will provide complete and appropriate solutions for every customer in order to boost top-line revenue growth.
Salary Range: 75,000 to 90,000, depending on experience
Job Duties and Specific Accountabilities:
- Solicit, negotiate and book new and repeat business through various efforts, including outside sales calls, telemarketing, mailings, referrals, networking, etc. to maximize room revenue; develop relationships with corporate, business, travel industry, community organizations, professional associations, media, etc. to identify potential clients and increase market share.
- Provide leadership in training and mentoring of the sales team.
- Notify/coordinate customer specifications with other departments and quickly, efficiently respond to customer issues, comments and problems to ensure a quality experience and enhance future sales prospects.
- Survey, review and analyze competition, market trends, as well as customer needs and comments to develop new plans and programs and determine the potency of current plans and programs; conduct internet prospecting.
- Ensure that the sales team maintains accurate, legible records and files to provide group histories, rooming lists, group blocks, drop dates, and Banquet Event orders credit procedures and audit guidelines.
- Participate in trade shows, conventions, and promotional events within the hotel, the industry and customer organizations to maintain high visibility for the hotel and enhance revenue opportunities
- Achieve individual monthly revenue and solicitation goals. Monitor progress of the sales team toward their monthly goals and provide feedback or set strategy sessions as needed to help sales associates succeed.
- Assist in the development of team sales action plans, forecasting and evaluate trends to modify strategies that will enhance revenues effectively.
- Establish and re-establish accounts of individuals, organizations, associations, social, and/or corporate businesses through direct outside and inside selling to secure business.
- Negotiate guest room rates, meeting room rental, function space, and/or hotel services within approved booking guidelines.
- Accurately produce and/or review all sales contracts, rate agreements, and/or banquet/catering event orders.
- Monitor and handle inquiry calls and provide client proposals in accordance with established departmental policies and procedures
- Arrange and conduct special events, property tours, site inspections, and off-site presentations for potential clients.
- Entertain clients in accordance with established company and hotel policies and guidelines.
- Maintain client files and update information daily in accordance with established departmental policies and procedures.
- Produce monthly sales-related reports and sales forecasts for assigned area of responsibility.
- Follow up with clients regularly during and after departure to ensure satisfaction and secure future bookings; Upon closing, coordinate and follow up with other hotel departments to ensure guest satisfaction.
- Solicit group, transient, and other function business directly and jointly with others through the preparation, execution and completion of Action Plans.
- Quote and negotiate prices with customer representatives, confirming reservations by letter and drawing up contracts; signing for the hotel and obtain customer signatures to close the transaction.
- Assist in the writing and implementation of the annual hotel business plan and quarterly action plans as well as assist in the development of the sales department budget
- Lead property revenue meetings insuring revenue maximization and profit in all areas.
- Lead by positive example and ensure sales team members are a positive reflection of the hotel
- As directed, compile and input market intelligence information to the Sales Information Management systems.
- Participate in the hotels Safety and Make a Difference committees.
Experience and Education:
- Proven experience prospecting and acquiring new business
- Extensive knowledge of a major hotel brand’s frequent guest program, brand and hotel web site and both local and national negotiated corporate accounts.
- Strong knowledge of computer systems to include Microsoft Office. Experience with Delphi system, Salespro/STS, and OnQ preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical, written and verbal communication and negotiation skills; ability to connect with people in a meaningful way.
- Ability to work independently, with minimum direction, as well as interface effectively with all levels of management and maintain effective communication with corporate management.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize work
- Undergraduate degree in business, marketing, hospitality, or related field or equivalent combination of education & experience
- 5+ years of work experience in a Sales Management position
- 2+ years of work experience as a Director of Sales with a major hotel brand preferred
- Must have a valid Driver License and own transportation
- The employee is frequently required to sit, stand, bend, walk and reach with hands and arms.
- This position requires the ability to occasionally lift, carry or push up to 25 pounds.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions at the Company’s discretion and on a case-by-case basis.
- Local travel required weekly; national travel may be required on an annual basis to attend corporate or functional meetings
- Work days and work hours may vary depending on property needs
- Relocation needs for qualified candidates may be considered
- High School Diploma / GED or better
- Bachelor of Arts or better in Hospitality and Resort Management or related field
- Problem Solving
- Planning & Organizing
- Thought Provoking: Capable of making others think deeply on a subject
- Leader: Inspires teammates to follow them
- Enthusiastic: Shows intense and eager enjoyment and interest
- Dedicated: Devoted to a task or purpose with loyalty or integrity
- Self-Starter: Inspired to perform without outside help
- Ability to Make an Impact: Inspired to perform well by the ability to contribute to the success of a project or the organization
- Entrepreneurial Spirit: Inspired to perform well by an ability to drive new ventures within the business