We seek a multi-faceted, entrepreneurial Software Engineer/Embedded Systems Programmer skilled in multiple programming environments who is also able to manage Web Application Development (aka, Jack of All Digital Trades!) highly motivated with innate ability, ready and energized to get their hands dirty. You will be primarily responsible for all aspects of software programming and development for current and new products and have at least oversight responsibility for web application design, programming and development. You will work in a thought-provoking environment that encourages diversity of thought and creative solutions that are in the best interests of our Company and our customers. The successful candidate must be a self-starter and fast learner that is detail orientated and looking to have fun challenging themselves in a deeply collaborative environment. This isn’t your ordinary digital job!
We are looking for a naturally curious soul who likes building things, learning and doing cool projects. The Company has been in existence for 27 years and our client list reads like a Who’s Who of the top players in the pharma and behavioral research arena around the world. Under new ownership, the Company is embarking on a growth strategy focused on new product development. As a result, this role is akin to a similar role in a startup company. Here is a unique opportunity to apply your digital skills and interests to improve medtech devices and behavior research and have fun while doing it! In addition, this is a great opportunity to rapidly advance your digital abilities and get valuable experience in executive functions. This is a salaried full-time position at our headquarters in a southern San Diego, California suburb.
- Design, code, test, update and deploy software, new and existing, in all layers of the development life cycle in native code (e.g., C or C++) versus .NET format (i.e., you need to program in native code and not just convert to threaded code, C# or .NET platform - We need lean, mean, fast software not software that runs on a fast processor).
- Develop stand alone “apps” that control our products in a Windows environment (i.e., the software controlling our devices is independent of the OS but runs in a Windows environment).
- Create the user interface to the Company’s new software and modify and maximize the look and feel of the Company’s existing software to enhance customer engagement and optimize customer interaction and satisfaction.
- Assist in customer service with respect to software issues.
- Advise on and manage maximizing the look and feel of the Company’s websites. Oversee the building and maintaining of the Company’s websites using best practices to create and securely deploy new website and implement feature requests, upgrade as necessary and fix bugs on existing websites.
- Advise on and help to implement SEO strategies.
- Stay current with and use best practices for software design, development and usability and be familiar with best practices for website design, development and usability.
- Learn new technologies and techniques to improve the existing software and website code.
- Provide necessary software and website documentation.
- Prioritize, track and complete projects in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Consult with appropriate Company personnel to evaluate individual project needs, ensure consistency with the Company’s objectives and provide positive, user-friendly experiences with Company personnel.
What We Need From You (Our Requirements):
- BS degree or above in Physics, Applied Physics, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or related fields or equivalent practical experience, with at least 1 year of working experience.
- Proven experience with software coding including development principles, practice and process.
- Must be comfortable working in the command line.
- Ability to manage the building and maintaining of the Company’s websites.
- Familiarity with SEO best practices and technical implementation requirements.
- Motivated self-starter who works well independently with minimum supervision.
- Strong communication skills and a can-do attitude.
- Enthusiastic about developing the best software available and providing the ultimate customer experience.
- An advocate for continuous improvement of our software and web development process.
- Hands on electrical or computer-related hobbies such as amateur radio, Arduino, Raspberry Pi, home automation, Maker Faire, audiophile, drones, robotics, radio astronomy, etc.
Even better if:
- Experience personally designing and developing at least some aspects of websites.
- Experience working with mobile application development or Big Data.
- Curiosity towards new technologies and entrepreneurship.
- Competency in data structures, algorithms and software design.
- Interest in staying current by applying new technologies.
- Able to work in a collaborative environment with a willingness to share your ideas.
- Able to work independently on modules and complete tasks with high quality and contribute to high velocity, but unafraid to seek out suggestions from others.
- Experience with agile development methodologies
Why This Is a Great Opportunity
- Will be the digital expert for the Company.
- Rapidly develop existing and learn new software and web development skills.
- Entrepreneurial feel.
- High visibility: working closely with the Company executives in the same location.
- Small international company with tremendous growth opportunities.
- Will learn and be involved in other aspects of business including sales and marketing, finance, strategy, manufacturing and administration.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $70,388.20 - $163,237.10 per year
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Work Location: One location